The Department of Research & Evaluation (R&E) of Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC) is recruiting candidates for an Executive Scientific Director of Research. This position is an ideal opportunity for a renowned, visionary, and collaborative leader to work with the Department and KPSC leadership to stimulate innovation, promote a culture of excellence, and generate research that can be translated into clinical practice, health promotion, and policies to enhance the health of individuals and populations.
The Director leads and supports strategic planning, policy formation, investigator development, and management and oversight of all research activities within the KPSC region. The Director will lead a well-established and highly regarded research group embedded within a prominent integrated health care system that serves over 4.8 million diverse members in Southern California. The organization is a learning health system that continuously translates research into practice to address questions of effectiveness, safety, quality, affordability, access, and population health.
Authorities and Principal Responsibilities
• Leads a team of 30+ research scientists and post-doctoral fellows, 400+ staff, $100M+ research portfolio
• Responsible for providing strategic vision and leadership, operational, and administrative oversight of the research
activities conducted in KPSC including grant/contract submission, research activities, and report writing and
publication, and oversees administration of research budgets.
• Works with Scientists, Physician Investigators, and Administrators to manage projects and ensure compliance with
timelines, protocols, and financial and sponsor regulations.
• Serves as KPSC research’s primary spokesperson in organizational and national committees and other leadership
• Fosters and sustains collaborative relationships with local, state, and national opinion leaders and funders.
• Grow and diversify the Department’s research agenda, as well as its external partnerships and funding streams
• Foster and maintain a culture of mentorship.
• Identify infrastructure (shared resources) and facility needs to foster innovation and efficiencies
• Set direction with high standards of scientific rigor and integrity to help solve critical quality of care delivery gaps
• Partner with the medical group leadership to cultivate and maintain collaborative relationships
• May serve on the faculty of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine.
• Maintain a personal portfolio of nationally recognized research.
• An advanced degree (e.g., PhD, MD, or equivalent doctoral degree).
• Minimum eight (8) years of research leadership experience in a healthcare setting required, preferably experience in a complex, multi-faceted health care system and multi-service provider setting.
A description of the Department of Research & Evaluation is available on the web at http://kp.org/research. The Department is located in Pasadena, California, a community of 140,000 residents and the home of the California Institute of Technology, Rose Bowl, Jet Propulsion Lab, and other historical and cultural sites. Information about the community can be found at https://www.visitpasadena.com. Interested candidates should submit their letter of interest and CV to Research-Recruitment@kp.org and for further inquiries regarding this position, you can also contact Laura Cardoza, Leadership Search Consultant, at 503-347-7110 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
KPSC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and offers a comprehensiv e compensation package, including
employer-paid medical, dental, and coverage for eligible dependents. Competitive wages, generous paid time-off, and a
comprehensive retirement plan are just part of the exceptional benefits offered to Kaiser Permanente emp loyees
Company: Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC)
Location: Southern California